Saturday, November 10, 2007

Photo courtesy my pal Michelle M. Thanks, girl!

Duran Duran on Broadway

When I found out that Duran Duran would be gearing up for a new world tour playing a NYC Broadway playhouse, I e-mailed my two favorite 80s Duranie girls and set a date. But even after I ordered the tickets, I didn't realize how smart I'd been or how much I'd enjoy the show.

Red Carpet Massacre brings the band full circle back to their techno-dance roots, but with a totally modern vibe.

The audience at the Ethel Barrymore was very congenial, and there was lots of great people watching. The first thing we noticed as we took our seats was a full-figured--Who am I kidding? Her breasts were like melons, swinging unimpeded by her red satin halter-style dress (think Marilyn Monroe standing over the subway, but without the sex appeal). Her garb was ridiculous for the cold, rainy November night.

It was fun hearing all the new material in concert. Though we couldn't sing along, we could sure dance to it--many of the songs from the forthcoming CD Red Carpet Massacre are funky and infectious. Watch out for "Skin Divers," "Tempted," and "The Valley."

Watch the brief You Tube clip featuring DD in the studio with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland.

For a "pretty boy band from the '80s," they are remarkably relevant in 2007.

No comments: