Friday, February 04, 2011

In-House, Yet Out-of-House

After 15 years of working from my home office, I decided to take a long-term in-house freelance position with a major publisher. Though I worried about how my 12-year-old son would take the transition, whether I could hack a long commute, and so on, the job so far has gone smashingly. I was (and am) happy as a freelancer, but I had forgotten how nice it can be to work with a team of adult people who are all focused on the same goal.

The other benefit to taking the position was working on eBooks, surely the future of publishing. I continue to take a "wait and see" approach to the life or death of print publishing--personally, I do not see electronic publishing as a medium that is predestined to obliterate print. It is likely to supersede print, but the two can co-exist, at least for the foreseeable future.

If you're interested in the latest in electronic book publishing, try Digital Book World. The annual conference just wrapped up, so there's lots of good stuff to read there. Also, if you're a book industry professional, registration has already opened for Book Expo 2011.

As a personal side note, thank you to those who posted comments and commiserated with me over the loss of my grandmother. I felt truly thankful to host Thanksgiving--my grandmother is still alive in me.

No comments: